19.2.06

rock 'n' roll cluedo

... but the song that really set me on the path was Gerry & the Pacemaker's How Do You Do It? I was 12 or 13, and still remember the when, where & with what: Sunday evening, in the bathroom, with the radio. In those days we lived in a rented flat above the Chemist's shop on Main Street, Greytown. The old mantle radio was not in the bathroom, probably one of my sisters was listening to it in her bedroom but somehow that song just came out and claimed me for its own. I heard it perfectly, can hear it now. Haven't yet gone looking for it in the ether. In a way I wish it had been the Rolling Stones' Paint it Black or the Yardbirds' Shapes of Things or even A Whiter Shade of Pale, the first single I bought ... yeah, left it on the back seat of my mother's Hillman Imp, it buckled in the sun, never played it ... but they all came later. Yet, in the anthropology of 60's pop, that song (How Do You Do ... ) has a place. Written by Mitch Murray, it was offered in the first instance to The Beatles, who knocked it back because they wanted to record a song of their own: Please Please Me it was called. Mitch also wrote I'm Telling You Now for Freddy and the Dreamers; Ballad Of Bonnie and Clyde for Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames; and Billy, Don't Be A Hero for Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods.

2 comments:

richard lopez said...

good god, i can't recall the song that sent me down the path of rock 'n roll. i do recall seeing the sex pistols on tv at 11 years old, and they were scary, vicious and beautiful, but it would be a few years till i really listened to them.

i recall a video tv show, on late saturday night, called _videowest backstage pass_ in the late 70s, early 80s. first videos i'd ever seen. the show specialized in new wave and post-punk acts, i think that is where i saw the sex pistols. but it was bands like ultravox and new zealand's split enz that had me reeling in horror and happiness.

Martin Edmond said...

split enz just announced a reunion tour, they didn't say if it wd be op art cozzies & strobe lights or what ...